Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Golden RainbowTrout

The Trout Hatchery near Petersburg, WV was built in the 1930. In 1955 a yellow mottled trout hatched, was cared far, and her eggs were hatched, and the golden rainbow trout has been bred there ever since. It is a small place with very little information posted about the goldens. The day we were there no one seemed to be around to explain things. But I had my own guide - sort of - . Back in about 1968, as a teenager, Lee had worked here for a while. He had first taken me here in 1972 when he first brought me to Petersburg as we were moving to Chicago. We met and were married in San Diego, CA, both of us being in the Navy. The Navy was sending him to Great Lakes Naval Base for training. Having 30 days to get there, we visited Petersburg to see his family on the way. We visited many places then, as we did on this trip. The trout hatchery being one of them.



This photo shows both the goldens and the rainbows or many browns. These are breeders and some looked to be at least 2 feet long.


Ponds where smaller trout are kept until ready to release.

Different view of the tank the breeders are kept in.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

The Great Lakes Naval Base rings a bell to me, I think I've been there, when staying with a friend at her Aunt's house in Kenosha, Wisconsin. My friend's cousin was based there, I seem to remember. It was a long time ago .. I was 17 (so only a couple of years then!!!!!!!! I wish!!). We visited Chicago too .. went up Sear's Tower (as it was then) and had a photo taken with a cute Chicago Policeman! Nice memories xxx