Friday, May 28, 2021

Cicada Insects

I keep hearing that most of the eastern part of the United States is going to have swarms of cicada insects in the next couple of weeks. So are we have had a few but not a lot. I will say that I don't remember seeing any of them in the previous years that we have lived here in Kentucky. I understand there are several different kinds of cicadas. Some that come out of the ground and turn into the winged insect each year and then the kind like we are supposed to have now that only come out about every 17 years. Thats a long time to be underground as some sore of nymphs. I understand that these weird insects do not bite or sting, but are a favorite food of many birds and small wild animals. Today we saw a pileated woodpecker. The pileated woodpecker is the largest of the woodpeckers that we have here and this is only the second time I have seen one. The other time was about 3 seconds of seeing one about 2 years ago. My bird book says they are a very shy bird. This one was way out in the yard and the camera had trouble focusing on her. Yes, I think this was a female which makes me hope that she has a nest nearby.


In my hand is the shell of the nympth that came out of the ground . In the top is a slit where it came out of the shell and now has wings. The next photo is kind of blurry but it is a cicada with the wings and the big red eyes they have.


The left over cicada shells are everywhere. A lot of them are hanging on leaves

This one was sitting on the pavement of our driveway. 

A cluster of shells. 

 

No comments: