Saturday, April 17, 2021

Tulips and Daffodils

Last fall I bought a couple of bags of mixed colors of tulips and daffodils. The phot that was on the website and the photo on the bag of tulips showed some that were bright red, yellow and pink. So I was expecting those colors, even though it said it would be mixed colors. I knew this site also offered unusual colors but figured these would be the standard red, pink, yellow colors. The first ones came up and it seemed to take for ever for the color to show. I was disappointed that the tulips seemed to all be white or worse, pale yellow. Not the colors I would have picked. In fact I almost went to the web site and complained but it did say mixed colors and they did grow and bloom.Boy, was I surprised when those pale yellow tulips started getting pink stripes. Some like the flower in the first photo was really beautiful. Some took on more of the pink color changing completely. I got the photos on here backwards. The photos of yellow tulips should be first and the pink ones next. These photos are of the same group of tulip blossoms. I was amazed. I have a friend who said she had some green tulips that then turned red. How unique. I would be interested to know the process for breeding tulips that change color. Now those last photos are 
 are  of a different tulip I got in the same bunch that came out a lovely shade of butterscotch.








 

No comments: