Friday, September 18, 2020

My Random Thought #7

 Telephone Information

      For about 12 years of my working history I worked as a telephone representative for several different call centers, mostly doing catalog sales. Yes, it was right before catalog sales went from being a telephone thing to being an online sales things. I, also, did a lot of telephone answering at the several retail sales stores that I worked at. Sometimes it seems as if all I have ever done is talk to strangers on a phone. 

    Now that I have retired I find I have to call a business for some reason or another more than I ever had to do when we didn't have cell phones and computers. And it seems as if the people you have to talk to do not give out good information. I usually end up hanging up, and mad because I can't get the information I need. 

First - over half of the people who answer when you call are in another country and I can't understand them and they can't understand me. 

Second - no one ever seems to really care about your problem. They want to get you off the phone and get on to their next call as fast as possible. This problem is caused by the company they work for. They are supposed to keep a call as short as possible. I had to do this even when I was doing phone work but it seems worse now. 

Third - it seems as if they are trying to make me mad so I will hang up and the call will be short. It has happened so many times now I expect it and I. I am ready to hang up as soon as I get a person on the line. 

Forth - Oh and to get a person to talk to, you have to go through dozens of recorded options before you can talk to an actual person - if you get to talk to one at all. 

The other day I called a bank and was told to press 1 for options. Pressing 1 I was then told to press 2 for more options. Pressing 2 I was told to press 3 for more options. Mind you there were never any options. This went on to Press 5 when I got disgusted and started pressing 00000000000000 and got to a person who then wasn't able to answer my question about my account telling me I had to get the information on the internet and hung up on me. 

I certainly hope I never left a customer feeling as mad and disgusted as I have lately been on the phone. I know I always tried to answer questions to the best of my ability and if I couldn't I put them through to someone who could. 



1 comment:

Cindy said...

It is the same here! After pressing many times I always think 'thank goodness' when they say 'hold on to speak to a real person'!! xxx