Thursday, July 26, 2018

Veggies

I have grown vegetables in New Mexico for many years. But this was my first time growing them in Kentucky. I have to admit it has been some what easier than raising them in the desert. The tomatoes have done really well and so have the cucumbers. I expected the zucchini to do well and I have had enough for myself but that is all. The cantaloupe have not produced at all. Just a vine. The watermelon have some very tiny melons on them but they don't seem to be growing. But the pumpkins look like they are going to be big ones. I am guessing that the 2 in the last photo will weight in at about 10 pounds already. 
I did plant everything in very large pots. I have done that for years and find it easier for me than trying to dig and plant a garden plot for no more than we will eat. The vines on the pumpkins, cucumbers, and watermelons have become monsters. If I could figure out which don't have fruit on them I would cull them but they are to tangled to tell which is which. 
And the taste of vine ripened veggies is so different to what you buy in the store. So much better. And yes I have given some to my son and to the neighbors. From the looks of this table full I need to do that again.




1 comment:

Cindy said...

I used to grow tomatoes and Capsicum in my greenhouse … but I gave my greenhouse away 18 months ago. I haven't missed it really, but was thinking of getting one of those mini ones with a few shelves in, but haven't got around to it yet. I too used to give away more than we ate, but it is all about the fun of growing your own veggies isn't it. xxx