Monday, June 18, 2018

Yucca Flowers

Having been born and raised in New Mexico I was well aware that the New Mexico state flower was the yucca. I had a couple in my yard and always went out on the desert to see them when they were blooming. What a surprise to fine yuccas in Kentucky. On researching yuccas on the internet I found that there was a type of wild, native yucca in Kentucky. I was very pleased to see a clump of what I thought were yucca in the yard of the property we bought. I waited many months to see what the clump of spikey leaves would look like when it bloomed. Here is a few of the photos I took of the yucca blossoms. The have been so pretty.  In comparing them to the wild yucca on the New Mexico desert I saw that these were more white, and the long leaves aren't quite as sharp pointed as the desert yucca. Oh, yes, they are still sharp but not so needle sharp. Knowing that they are in Kentucky I have now seen them in lots of yards in our area but have not seen any in the wild as mentioned on some web sites.









 Here are a couple of photos of the New Mexico desert yucca that I am so fond of. As you can see the leaves are thinner and sharper and the flowers more of an ivery color with darker, kind of a dark purple section in them. But still the same basic bell shaped blossom. The last photo is of some of the hard, dried seed pods from some desert yucca. It's the same bell shape but dried to a shade of brown almost like a thin wood. They look great in dried arrangements.
 




1 comment:

Cindy said...

Only one of my Yucca plants flowered this year, and then it didn't last for long, I think it was too hot for it. xxx