Friday, June 15, 2018

Petunia's

Petunia's have never been my favorite flower but here in Kentucky I see them everywhere. So the other day I decided I would try some. I had a hard time deciding what I was going to buy as I didn't realize that there were so many colors. Other places I have lived there were only a few colors to chose from. Here there seemed to be dozens and dozens of colors. Solid colors and striped colors. I was drawn to baskets of black and pink petunia's. Had to have one of those. After looking at a lot of others I chose one that seemed to be a pale yellow with red tips on the petals mixed with white petunias. Then there were the purple and white striped ones mixed with dark red in another basket.  My cousin came to visit and pointed out that the pale yellow ones with the red tips looked like they were red hearts. Then my aunt mentioned that the red and yellow were the colors in the New Mexico flag. Maybe that is why I picked that one out. The black ones looked like black velvet. Wonder if that is their official name as all flowers seem to have a name given to them by who ever developed that particular color. I know the rose growers have all kinds of contests to see what new verities have been bred each year. I would think all flower growers do. 













No comments: