Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Dancing

Sarah, my sister, always enjoyed dancing. She and her friends do a lot of importune dancing in kind of an ethnic style. Most of these dances are about mythology or African dancing. One group is a Ti Chi dance group. They preformed at a park one afternoon while I was visiting Las Cruces. It was very interesting and I could tell they had put a lot of time and practice into the dances. One thing I noticed was that most of these dancers were age 50 and older. Makes me wonder why more of the younger people aren't interested in learning free style dancing. I found out that most of these dancers had been doing it from the time they were teenagers. Is this going to be another of those 'lost arts'?



 The colors in all the costumes were eye catching. The way the dancers used large silk scarves and what looked like butterfly wings was amazing. Most costumes are special made, a lot of them made by hand by the dancers.





 I could have listened to this man and his group of drummers and singers a lot longer than they played. They were fantastic. There was another small group of good musicians that played while one group of dancers danced.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

How interesting. I used to be a bit of a dancer back in my 20's and 30's - ballroom and latin American mainly. Dancing is quite popular here these days, mainly due to the programme Strictly Come Dancing (similar to your Dancing with the Stars) and as well as the ballroom type dances the young people are interested in 'Street Commercial' dancing which I think is similar to what your sister enjoys,