Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Quilts

This quilt was one that my grandma or Gram, Alma Coe Green Williams, started before she died in 1979. I took it so I could finish it. Gram had done the piece work as it was called. She liked to cut and sew all those little pieces of material into a design. I think this one is a flower design but it also looks like a strange sort of ice cream cone. She had done all the little stuff then added the yellow stripes between them. She had even put the batting or stuffing between the top and the piece of blue she used as the bottom. What I had to do was finish the edges and do the cross stitching so the batting didn't bunch up in one area. I made long, straight lines of sewing down each of the yellow lines. Yes, I used my sewing machine. Gram did all the designs with hand stitching, but had started to do the rest on a sewing machine. When I found the unfinished quilt in an old suitcase a few months ago I would have sworn I heard Gram's voice in my ear telling me to get it finished. 40 years was long enough. So I did it.

This shows the outer most edge of the quilt.


 Mother might have complained about a cat on the quilt but Gram liked cats and wouldn't have cared. This is Cassie.
This is a quilt that Gram had done the pinwheel circles on when I was in highschool. My mom had the white material we used to put the circles on. Then we put the quilt in Gram's old quilting frames. and spend many an evening siting around the quilt and quilting the cross seams while watching TV. That was doing it the old fashioned way. I am glad I was able to do it that time but would have hated to try to do it by my self. That is why women used to have quilting parties to do a lot of the work on quilt.s

This is Chantilly admiring this quilt. My mom was doing the last of the work on this one in July of 1969 while we watched the first men walk on the moon almost 50 years ago.

The back part was all white.

This is a quilt made by my Grandma, Dorthey Barnett, my dad's mom. Not sure when she made it but would guess back in the 1940's. It isn't in the best shape as it was well used. If I remember right all of her quilts were done with the small squares. Some in the stair step design like this and others just rows of squares. I will never wash this one as I think it will fall apart. Others she made and had kept were in a lot worse condition and had to be throw out.



2 comments:

Cindy said...

oh, they are beautiful designs … I love them. I want one! I wish I could quilt, it is a very popular craft over here now. You've done your Mum and Gran proud! xxx

Cindy said...

Just lovely, wonderful craftwork
xxx